Saturday, November 3, 2012

Cultural Mapping: SILS Stairs at Lunch

    

On Friday November 29th at 11:45 pm, my two friends and I ate lunch at the SILS stairs. I decided to do my cultural mapping project there because every day people use the stairs as a place to eat lunch. Therefore, although stairs may seem like an insignificant place, the stairs at SILS are an important part of the culture at SILS.
     When we got there at 11:45, the stairs were empty. The main, and really only set of stairs, at SILS are pretty wide. Most people only walk down the stairs since there is an escalator that leads to the second floor. So when heading downstairs, people walk to the left side. The right side is never really walked on since there is an escalator right above it. Somehow this side of the stairs has become a popular place to eat lunch. When I first head about the stairs being a popular place to eat I was a bit surprised. I've heard that the ground, or areas where people walk, are considered dirty. Usually one does not see people sitting on the ground in public areas, but I guess since that side of the stairs isn't technically used for walking, it is socially acceptable to eat there. 
     And many people do use the stairs as a place to eat lunch. Once class got out at 12:10 pm, the area became very crowded. There do not seem to be any set rules that you must follow while you eat there, or any places that seemed"reserved" by a usual crowd. Anyone is allowed to sit there, but most people were probably SILS or Waseda students. And it seemed like you could sit anywhere as long as you were not too close to another group and as long as you did not cross over into the section of the stairs used for walking 
     Most people sat in groups of two or three; there were not really any huge groups of people sitting at the stairs. The groups were spread out all over the right side, or left side depending on where your vantage point is. Some where close to the side where people were walking down, and some were sitting in the small space behind the hand rail that does not seem to serve a purpose since the right side leads to nowhere and therefore does not really need a rail. Sometimes I would see one person claim a spot and then friends would come join them later.
     The atmosphere at the stairs during lunch was very casual. Many people were chatting with their friends while eating. The language used was informal. Some people seemed to talk about their weekend plans, while some talked about classes. It was hard to listen to a full conversation. I noticed that much English was spoken, but I also heard Japanese and some Korean as well. Other people there would watch the scenery around them, for there is much to watch. From the stairs you could watch people walk down the stairs, go up the escalator, buy food at the conbini, and eat lunch at the white tables located outside. This area of SILS is relatively crowded during the hour between 3rd and 4th period. The people eating on the stairs only talked to their friends or the people in their group; there was not interaction with strangers, which seems to be a common theme in Japan. Sometime someone would move their bag to make room for annother person to walk by, but other than that people were absorbed in their own bubble. 
     As an observer, and participant since I was eating lunch as well, I felt very comfortable at the stairs. Since both foreigners and Japanese people were eating at the stairs, I did not feel out of place at all. I was just another student eating lunch my conbini bought lunch there. I took my time eating my lunch since I did not have class 3rd period. There was no rush at all there; no one made me feel like I had to move or eat faster to give up my spot to another. I have noticed in Japan at restaurants or tables that once people have claimed a spot, they usually stay there for a long time even after they are done eating. The stairs in that since are no different. They are just another place to eat. There seem to be similar behaviors there as there would be at other places where people eat lunch. If I came to the stairs on a daily basis, I would possible notice different behaviors, but that day there were none that stuck out as being especially different.
    In a larger sense, I believe that the stairs at SILS represent the common theme in Tokyo of making as much use of the space that is available, not matter the size or location. In Tokyo there are stores or restaurants tucked into corners or located in twisting alleyways. Space does not seem to be wasted here. So since one side of the stairs is not used to walking, someone one day must have decided it would be a good place to sit and have lunch and the spot eventually became a regular lunch-time gathering place. The space is also a very convenient spot to eat lunch at. It is close to the conbini, close to classes, and is inside as well. I'm sure the spot gets more crowded when the weather is bad and less crowded when the weather is nice.   
     Although stairs may usually be an small, overlooked, or insignificant place, the stairs at SILS play a significant role. There are many places to eat lunch at on Waseda campus, but people use the stairs as a place to sit and eat lunch every day. Some people may be opposed to the idea of eating on stairs, because of it being dirty, etc., so it could be possible that the people who sit there are less concerned about such an image. And it is true that seeing people eat on stairs is a somewhat rare occurance. As long as that side of the stairs remains free to eat lunch at, however, I believe that people will continue to use that spot daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment